The recent murder of George Floyd by Minnesota law enforcement was an unconscionable act that demands the ongoing need for police accountability and the end of police brutality. One of the officers is Asian American and this cannot be overlooked–Asian Americans continue to be actively complicit in the anti-Black racism that results in the death of Black and Brown lives.
When the Asian American community was targeted with anti-Asian racism during COVID-19, we were quickly reminded of our status as a perpetual foreigner. We cannot forget our history in the fight for civil rights and we must stand with our Black brothers, sisters, and siblings who fight for collective liberation. Asian American silence against white supremacy and anti-Blackness is violence. We must speak out against the Model Minority Myth, which has and is still used as a harmful wedge against other BIPOC communities. Without addressing the internalization of anti-Blackness and colorism within Asian American culture, there cannot be the collective liberation from the injustices of police brutality that we strive to achieve.
We urge any person involved in physical protesting to take precautions in practicing social distancing and wear masks. Nonetheless, we stand with those demanding justice for George Floyd and with Black Lives Matter.
We want to be intentional in centering Black voices and Black organizers during this movement. Please find resources below that are centering their work. Please also find resources to talk to your families and friends from an AAPI perspective.
Donate, if you can:
Follow Black community leaders, organizations and media outlets on social media
- Reclaim the Block
- Seattle Black Businesses
- Dae Shik Jr.
- Omari Salisbury
- Nikkita Oliver
- Rainier Avenue Radio
Educate yourself, your family and your friends
- In-language resources:
- Letters for Black Lives: Letters you can send to your family and friends about Black Lives Matter in API languages
- Addressing anti-Blackness and George Floyd by @ko_archives – Japanese
- #BlackLivesMatters – Chinese
- 10 Steps to Non-Optical Allyship
- Black and Asian-American feminist solidarities: A Reading List
- Asians for Black Lives: Statement on the Peter Liang Verdict
- Asian Accountability To Black People: A very basic incomplete resource
- #JusticeforFloyd: Demand the officers who killed George Floyd are charged with murder
- This #BlackLivesMatter doc has petitions for us to sign & organizations to donate to
Make phone calls
- Defund the Police: Call Mayor Jacob Frey
- Charge the Officers Involved: Call DA Michael Freeman
- Call Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison at 651-296-3353
- Call Minnesota Governor Tim Walz at 651-201-3400
- Re: (5/30 Seattle, WA) the police officer who maced a young girl at the Seattle protest
- Jared Campbell #8470
- Office of police accountability: (206) 684-8797 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chief: Carmen Best
- File an anonymous complaint
- Petition to fire him
- Text FLOYD to 55156
- Text JUSTICE to 668366
Send emails to elected officials
Be counted and vote in your local upcoming elections